CIRCULAR ECONOMY TARGETS
- Adopt circular economy principles to reduce waste and use resources efficiently.
- Promote and support circular economy practices such as recycling, recovery, and reuse.
- Collaborate among public, private sector, academic world and civil society organizations to strengthen the circular economy ecosystem in Istanbul and increase cooperation opportunities.
- Promote sustainable production and consumption systems for using waste as a resource.
- Develop a transportation system in Istanbul that minimizes environmental impacts and relies on renewable energy sources.
- Adopt a new economic model about the energy management.
- Adopt a more sustainable approach to water management in Istanbul and protect water resources.
- Conduct education, communication, and information activities to raise awareness about the circular economy and ensure community participation in Istanbul.
MAIN CHALLENGES TO ACHIEVE TARGETS
- Growing population and immigration that result in social integration challenges.
- Traffic density and congestion; need for new integrated public services and more housing and commercial areas.
- Increased consumption and consequently greater waste generation.
- Absence or insufficient strength of necessary legal regulations for the implementation of a circular economy.
- Circular economy practices can be more expensive in some cases and financially challenging for some companies.
- Insufficient awareness of the basic principles and benefits of a circular economy in society.
HOW CIRCULAR-PSP HELPS
- Creation of new markets for modern products and systems
- Creating a demand pool by explaining our needs as public in terms of functionality and performance
- Creation of a test area for innovative products,
- Creation of leading markets for new technology and solutions
- Helping disadvantaged groups by offering them products from the circular economic model
- Providing employment for disadvantaged group
SIGNIFICANCE OF CIRCULAR ECONOMY
- Population 15 million
- Financial and industrial capital of Turkey
- Diverse economy
- Istanbul GDP €240 billion
- Turkish circular economy potential €25 bn
- IMM employs 44,000 persons